What's Inside

GME Home

Contact Us:

Graduate Medical Education
Office: G254 Mayo
Mailing Address:
Mayo Mail Code 293
420 Delaware St. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
e-mail: gme@umn.edu
phone: 612-625-7634
fax: 612-624-0150

To report any duty hour or other concerns send a confidential email to gmedhv@umn.edu

myU portal
RMS Login
E*Value Login


  Home > International Medical Graduates and Visa Information > H-1B Visa Information

H-1B Visa Information

Contact Info:

Primary: Heather Woeste
Secondary: Kelly Cardenas

Email: rmshelp@umn.edu
Phone: 612-624-0750

Resident/Fellow Information: H-1B Visa

As an institution, the University of Minnesota allows for residents/fellows to be sponsored on an H-1B visa.  However, each program must determine if H-1B visas are an appropriate visa for their program.  Please contact your Program Coordinator to determine if your program allows the H-1B visa.

Information on Basic Requirements for H-1B Visa Sponsorship:

  • Application Fees Requirement: The Department of Labor REQUIRES that the employer pay for all costs of the H-1B visa application (and not recoup any costs from the employee).  You may not pay for any part of the H-1B visa application.  THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS.  Please see the ISSS website for more information.
  • MN License/Residency Permit Requirement: Anyone applying for H-1B visa must either have a Minnesota medical license or residency permit prior to submitting their H-1B visa application. The H-1B visa application petition cannot be processed if this requirement is not yet met.
  • USMLE Step 3 Requirement: Any international medical graduate (regardless of citizenship) applying for H-1B visa sponsorship must provide documentation that they have taken and passed USMLE Step 3 before an H-1B visa application can be submitted.  This does not apply to graduates of US medical schools. 

Additional information can be found in the Institution Visa Sponsorship Policy.



Notice of Privacy Practices